Many of you have been keeping tabs on all the hidden references Gambino layered into the final cut of his latest video. And while, yes, one or two seem like they could be about race or politics or one of those things, we think you’ll find out evidence overwhelming that Donald Glover is an Arsenal fan and the whole video is about the 2017/18 season
- When Childish Gambino first shows up to shoot that guy in the back of the head that’s clearly a reference to the decision to start the year with Wenger still in charge
- Gambino wears 2 chains, symbolizing how many goals Danny Welbeck will get this season
- When the singer executed the choir it’s a clear call out to the opinion the club has for fans, fan tv and pundits
- The white horse galloping in the background is a throwback to Paul Merson and all the gorgeous galloping drugs he was wont to do
- All the abandoned out of date cars he and sza sit on toward the end are a symbol of the doddering worthless defence you can just walk over
- The particular hand on hip dance and posturing the singer takes is less about the old Jim Crow caricatures and more about halfway making a shape like a Premier League trophy. Halfway because the club won’t be making it any time soon.
- The dancing in the foreground to distract from the chaos and violence behind is a call out to signing Aubameyang when they needed a defence.
- You’ll notice the warehouse is laid out like a prison cell. A reference to where everyone expected Alexis Sanchez to wind up in Spain for tax evasion.
- You’ll have picked up on a general air of frenzied despair and hopelessness pervading every frame.
- The final scene where Childish Gambino is running wild eyed from pursuers is a clear reference to the manner in which every good player leaves the club at their peak.
Take a look here:
Spotted any others? Leave them in the comments below